of Tipu Sultan
Location : In the heart of Palakkad town
The Tipu's Fort, also known as Palakkad Fort, stands
in the heart of Palakkad town. Palakkad is a small town on the lower
edges of the Sahyadri ranges of the Western Ghats, with patches
of dense forests and crisscrossed with rivers.
One of the well preserved forts in south India,
Tipu's Fort was constructed in 1766 AD and is today a protected
monument under the Archaeological Survey of India. The sober majesty
of the laterite walls of the fort reminds one of the old tales of
valour and courage.
The fort was built by Hyder Ali (1717 - 1782),
the emperor of Mysore province (now part of Karnataka State), supposedly
to facilitate communication between both sides of the Western Ghats,
(Coimbatore and the West Coast). He had captured the Malabar and
Kochi regions which come under the West Coast area. His son Tipu
Sultan (1750 - 1799) a warrior as well as a linguist was known as
the 'Lion of Mysore'. Tipu waged a series of wars against the British
In 1784, after an eleven-day seige, the fort was
captured by the British under Colonel Fullerton. Though it later
fell into the hands of the troops of the Kozhikode Zamorin, it was
recaptured by the British in 1790. Tipu Sultan lost his life in
1799 in an encounter with the British and the fort later came to
be known in his name.
Nearest railway station : Palakkad about 5 km.
Nearest airports : Coimbatore about 55km in Tamilnadu State; Cochin
International Airport, about 140km towards south