Location : Mattancherry, 10 km from Ernakulam.
Visiting hours : 10:00 am to 5:00 pm on all days except Fridays
Built by the Portuguese in 1557 and presented to Raja
Veera Kerala Varma of Kochi, the Palace was renovated in 1663 by
the Dutch. The palace with a Bhagavathi temple in the central courtyard
is built like the typical Kerala style mansion - the Nalukettu -
the home of the aristocracy, nobility and upper classes, with four
separate wings opening out to a central courtyard.
The double storeyed palace building which stands by
the panoramic Kochi back waters has an exquisite collection of murals
collectively covering over 300 sq ft of its walls. The themes of
these murals have been borrowed from the great Indian epics - the
Ramayana and the Mahabharatha, and mythology and legends about the
Hindu gods especially Guruvayurappan. Some murals depict scenes
from Kumarasambhavam and other works of the great Sanskrit poet
Kalidasa. Also on display are royal paraphernalia like weapons,
swings and furniture which offer a glimpse of the lifestyle of the
Getting there : There are frequent bus and boat
services to Mattancherry. The boats start from Main Boat Jetty near
Subash Park at Ernakulam town.
railway station : Ernakulam, about 10 km
Nearest airport : Cochin International Airport, about 20 km from